Old 06-09-2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson Susan Erickson is offline

Default CITES plants and hybrids: AOS judging & showing

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:04:47 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote:

The real fun will come if/when we are expected to be suspicious of Paphs
that are 'too good to be true'. I think Koopowitz presented a paper to the
JC on that topic at a recent Member's Meeting (Santa Rosa??). The
implication being that a hybrid just might be made with illegal stock. Like
instead of delenatii it actually was made with an illegal vietnamense. Now
how are we gonna "prove" that? Especially in these days of line breeding
(I'm thinking of Terry Root's 12-13 HUGE Paph rothschildianums... the judges
were floored that anything that big could have been grown.) [sigh] Kinda
sucks the fun out of judging.

K Barrett

6 months to a year ago there were several 'suspeciously large'
flowered plants - For the life of me a can not remember what the
hybrid was, but I remember the whisper - do you think... Could it be
.... How could you get that size from delenatii? You know the only
difference is the size... Etc.

It always ended with - AND HOW ARE WE GOING TO TELL?
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids