Old 06-09-2006, 01:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Pond pump runs dry after a few hours

On 5 Sep 2006 09:03:30 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

I recently installed an external pump with a priming pot for my pond.
After a few hours of running I discover that the pump is still running
but there is no water flow and the priming pot is empty of water. I
can stop the pump, refill the priming pot, restart it and it will pump
water for a few more hours until it runs out again. I am confident
that the power to the pump has not gone out temporarily. I have also
verified that I can remove power from the pump and restart it just
fine, since I have a swing valve on the input of the priming pot that
prevents it from emptying. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Tube/hose/fitting/cracked housing leak above the waterline.

Regards,

Hal