Old 20-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Shiva

Default Rose rescue

Tim Tompkins wrote:

Home Depot, your local garden center and other rose sellers are simply
offering what they think will sell. They often are as ignorant as the
public.

Yep. And the "box stores" are where most people actually see roses in
bloom, since many who would not visit public rose gardens or quality
garden centers do wind up in Kmart's garden center looking for a hose head
to wash their car etc. I resisted the sad Kmart roses last week, but saw
several people with a look of keen interest about them circling the roses,
I could almost see them thinking "I wonder if I could?" So even these
stores serve as promoters of the rose, in a way.

There is a whole world of myth surrounding rose culture, we can help our
friends and neighbors grow healthy and rewarding roses by simply offering
sound advice and help.
It's not magic, just a bit of knowledge and experience.

Well said. Stressing the toughness of roses and the simplicity of their
needs encourages novice growers. And, it is true--they are tough and their
needs are simple. Lots of sun, lots of water that drains, good fertilizer.
Regular treatment for insects and disease.

Still, many people appear to have the attitude that if it is too easy, it
cannot be worth much. Hence we have the very complicated formulae for
everything from planting to feeding to what one may or may not apply for
disease and insects. I think there is an element among experiences rose
growers that likes to make growing roses much more complicated and
difficult than it is. Another status elevation device? Who knows. But I
think it runs counter to encouraging new growers.

Tim
"Cass" wrote in message

Home Depot. Weeks roses in 2 gallon pots. Lots of feeder roots. I know
becauses I already repotted mine.

Accept no substitutes. The Despot is also selling generic "Red Rose"
"Yellow Rose" things that are truly scary.