Old 06-09-2006, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Liz Liz is offline

Default Melons

"Rick Eggleston" wrote in message
Any views here on Melon varieties?

This year I grew Ogen and Sweetheart which seem to be the two varietes

most
recommended for a cold greenhouse. The books seem to suggest that
Sweetheart is hardier and easier, but my experience is the opposite. The
Ogen plants are healthier and the fruits perfectly developed, sweet and
juicy. The Sweetheart plants look yellow by comparison and some of the
fruits have split (which is apparently caused by over-watering) as a

result
of which they need to be harvested a little early.

Based on this experience, next year it will be Ogens all the way, but I
would be interested in the experiences of others.

Hi. Long-term lurker to group but see a few familiar "faces" here.

I'm growing Sweetheart and Jenny Lind in polytunnel.
Sweetheart are doing just fine (not harvested any yet) and the plants seem
nice and healthy. The Jenny Lind has been a disaster. I had 6 plants, 5 of
which failed and the one left is not doing very well. Will probably grow
Sweetheart again next year probably and will also be trying Sakata's Sweet.
Melons are in rich bed in polytunnel watered with leaky hose on timer and
fed organic tom food once/twice a week.

Liz
(North Cumbria)