Old 07-09-2006, 07:38 AM posted to rec.ponds
Rodney Pont Rodney Pont is offline

Default Pump recs

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 22:46:09 -0700, Fredric E. Rose, Ph.D. wrote:

What size would you recommend? Here is my setup: The pond is irregularly
oval, roughly 8' long and 4' wide (at it's widest) and about 3' deep. I
calculate it to be somewhere between 500 and 600 gallons. I've got a small
(~2 foot) waterfall at one of the "long" ends. I placed my pump at the end
opposite the waterfall to get better circulation, so the tubing ran about 6'
horizontally underwater and then up about 3 feet above the pond to the back
of the veggie filter, which spills back into the pond via the waterfall.

I tried out a 700gph PondMaster pump with this setup but got nothing more
than a trickle from the waterfall. Do I really need to go up to a 1500 or
2000 gph pump just to get a somewhat meaningful waterfall? By meaningful, I
mean about 8" wide, 1/4" deep.

What size is your pipe? A small pipe diameter will really restrict the
flow and solid pipe is better than flexible. We swapped 1.5inch
flexible pipe to 1.5inch solid as a trial and got another 40%
approximately. We now use 2inch solid pipe and have a torrent instead
of the trickle we had with 1inch flexible pipe.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont