Old 07-09-2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Moonflower in Michigan

"simy1" wrote in message
oups.com...
I collected moonflower seeds from an acquaintance's garden last year,
and they produced several plants in my own garden. He has now moved
away, and I recall that he had them year after year. But I read that
moonflower is an annual in Michigan, so I suspect his plants were dying
but reseeding. Mine have not yet produced seeds. Do you think they will
come up next year? Also, I planted them a bit too thickly. If they will
survive, anything I need to know before I move a few in a month?

Unless you KNOW you've got a place on your property that's sort of a
mini-zone, warmer than the rest (near house foundation, for instance), the
plants probably won't survive the winter. Why move them? Collect (or buy)
seeds and replant next near. Give them a head start by starting them indoors
in INDIVIDUAL pots. They don't like being transplanted, so use 4-6" pots,
which will enable you to move a larger soil mass without disturbing the
roots.