Old 07-09-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Cost of re-turfing a lawn

, I, Marvo, say :

wrote in message
ups.com...

Mike wrote:

Going on what we paid yesterday to have some work done in the
garden, that is a very good price and I would snap his hand off. "I"
would be quite content to pay that.
.
Just to get the job done and for me not to do it :-))

Mike

ps as an afterthought, why not concrete it all and paint it green? No
mowing, quick wash down :-))

Nice idea, but I'd never get agreement on that from SWMBO

Do you really think that's a good price? I'm figuring £600 for the
turf, £100 for sand, seed and weed killer. That's still £1300 for 2
days work. Which is damn good money by my reckoning.
.................................................. ............

2 Days?
How many men?
What equipment?
Maintenance of equipment?
Fuel?
Guarantee?
Cover for days Rained Off?

If later there is something not quite right, a bump or a dip, would
you expect to pay for the rectification or have it done free?

As a matter of interest, do you work for yourself or run a business?
With all due respect I suggest not, otherwise the 'hiddens' would be
known to you.

As an example, when I moved into my second and bigger factory, still
only a nattygramme bigger than a Starter Unit, I did the exercise of
county up the 'dead money'. Outgoings before I switched a light on,
had staff through the door, switched the heating on. Things such as
rent. Rates. Insurance. Telephone rental standing charge. Gas
standing charge. Electric standing charge. Water Rates standing
charge. All those things that HAVE to be paid whether working or not.
Sunday. Christmas Day. New Years Day Bank Holidays etc etc etc.

:-((

They have to be taken into account when quoting charges.

Thought you might be interested.

What I *would* recommend is these Polish blokes. They work like b'gg'ry,
charge very little, and do a good job in my experience. I had someone's
patio taken away, it was a mess of concrete, they did it all by hand using
pixkaxes, bagged up twenty fertiliser sacks of hardcore (they didn't take
them aay because they came by push bike, not having a driving licence), and
charged £30. Never asked for a cuppa even, although she gave them one, and a
sandwich. Whistling all the time. Can't fault them. They even asked if it
would be all right to work at the weekend.

Worth asking about, there are loads of them here in the East Midlands and I
know several in the Home Counties too.

Come on you British workers :-)