Old 07-09-2006, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Mike is offline

Default Cost of re-turfing a lawn

wrote in message
ups.com...

Mike wrote:

2 Days?
How many men?
What equipment?
Maintenance of equipment?
Fuel?
Guarantee?
Cover for days Rained Off?

If later there is something not quite right, a bump or a dip, would you
expect to pay for the rectification or have it done free?

As a matter of interest, do you work for yourself or run a business?

With
all due respect I suggest not, otherwise the 'hiddens' would be known to
you.

As an example, when I moved into my second and bigger factory, still

only a
nattygramme bigger than a Starter Unit, I did the exercise of county up

the
'dead money'. Outgoings before I switched a light on, had staff through

the
door, switched the heating on. Things such as rent. Rates. Insurance.
Telephone rental standing charge. Gas standing charge. Electric standing
charge. Water Rates standing charge. All those things that HAVE to be

paid
whether working or not. Sunday. Christmas Day. New Years Day Bank

Holidays
etc etc etc.

:-((

They have to be taken into account when quoting charges.

Thought you might be interested.

Mike

Thanks. I will raise all those points, as the quotation I have contains
very little detail. For that kind of money I would expect a top quality
job, with some sort of guarantee.

I don't think you will be able to get them to break it down to such a finer
detail as I have drawn to your attention. Such as the question "How much
fuel will you use?" and "Do you have a yard or base you are paying rent on?"
and "How much of your quotation covers your wet days and not being able to
work?", but you could ask, "What sort of guarantee do I have? How long is
your guarantee?" and "How long will it take?", "What grade turf have you
quoted for, I don't want a Bowling Green?" (On the other hand you might :-))

AND, is it a Quotation or an Estimate and do you know the difference? It
sounds like a quote, but it should be detailed to see what sort of turf it
is. He 'could' have quoted rubbish and when you see it, "Well that will have
to be charged extra if you want a better turf" and thus your quotation goes
up with 'extras' and 'work requested whilst in progress'.

Hope that helps :-))

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk