Old 07-09-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] adder1969@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Cost of re-turfing a lawn

wrote:

Thanks. I will raise all those points, as the quotation I have contains
very little detail. For that kind of money I would expect a top quality
job, with some sort of guarantee.

I'm not sure I get it - rotovate then add lots of grit then the turf on
top of that? Doesn't sound like a quality job to me. If you want a
job done well you have to have a proper idea of what *you* want doing,
rather than rely on self-called experts.

So-called tradespeople these days can quote whatever they like - it's
up to you whether you go ahead with the work.

If the soil is totally sodden then you might need french drains, if
there's somewhere to drain to. If it's just surface water then you
just need somewhere for the surface water to go and that can be as
simple as a shallow layer of stable but well draining soil. If you're
going to put grit in then you might want to consider adding some
compost too - otherwise you might get a concrete effect!

If I were you I'd spend the time to prepare properly.