Old 07-09-2006, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Naubergines

, I, Marvo, say :

"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote .
Does
anyone else find that they can eat their aubergines without salting?

I've never salted mine and they taste just fine. However, the
following is from Delia Smith's website:

"Chefs and cooks seem to have an endless debate about aubergines: to
salt and drain, or not to salt and drain. I'm for the former. I do
take the point that the modern aubergine has evolved to a state where
it does not contain bitter juices, but the juices are there,
nonetheless, and I find salting and draining gets rid of excess
moisture and concentrates the flavour - there's nothing worse than a
watery aubergine.

Aubergines also have a capacity to absorb other flavours, so are
great mixed with tomatoes and spices, cheese or pulses. They also
absorb oil at an incredible rate, so frying is not recommended. I
find the best way to cook them is either by oven-roasting or
char-grilling."

This is from Uncle Marvo's feeble brane :

"Unless it's on a barbie or in a rat, the only thing to do with an aubergine
is to stuff it, as one would a marrow, with a mixture of onions and anything
else (like minced beef, peppers, garlic, more onion, etc) and oven bake
until the inside is done. Breadcrumbs optional for hungry kids. And chips."