Old 07-09-2006, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Hedgehog Diseases?

Martin Brown writes
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on the malaises that afflict
young hedgehogs?

A young one has apparently expired in the middle of an open area of
concrete near a path I walk regularly. Although it looks superficially
undamaged there are some strange organic growths on it about 5mm
diameter translucent grey and longer than the spines poking out here
and there. Leeches or some other nasty parasites maybe?

Those sound like ticks in colour, if it wasn't for the length (ticks
resemble sweetcorn grains in size and shape). Leeches tend to be various
browns and blacks and dark greens.

The poor thing seemed determined to attract the attention of carrion
crows by sitting right out in the open during daytime. I have never
seen anything like this behaviour before. Any ideas what might have
been wrong with it?

Sitting out in daylight is sign of sickness in hedgehogs, it's abnormal
behaviour. Often if you take one to a 'hedgehog hospital' you find it
has expired a few days later with respiratory disease.

--
Kay