Old 08-09-2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal Zootal is offline

Default When do pears ripen?

I checked them a few days ago. They are hard as a rock, and getting bigger.
Is that normal for this time of year?

"sherwindu" wrote in message
What you don't want to do is let the pears rippen on the tree. They will
be
overripe
at that point. Pears are unusual in that they rippen from the inside
first.
Pick them when they first start to feel a bit soft, not necessarily over
the
whole surface. Put them in the fridge for a while and take them out to
rippen in
your house.

Sherwin D.

told2b wrote:

Zootal wrote:
There is a 10 foot tall pear tree in the lot behind me, that I
discovered a
few weeks ago. I've been watering it once a week. it is loaded with
medium
small hard green pears. Any idea when I can expect them to ripen? It
went
with water all summer, and don't know how that might have effected it.

http://www.usapears.com/pears/faq.asp

HTH