Old 08-09-2006, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Cost of re-turfing a lawn

On 7/9/06 09:17, in article
, "

My lawn needs levelling out and re-turfing. Given that it's about 300
sq.metres, I estimate approx £600 to buy turf.
In terms of labour, how long would you say it would take someone to
rotavate this area, level it out and lay the turf? I'm just trying to
get a rough estimate for the labour costs.

Well I had someone look at it a few days ago. Just got the quote. To do
the following:-

kill off existing grass
rotovate and rake level
apply grit sand to improve drainage
roll
lay new turf

grand total £1995.

I didn't expect such a high quote. And also I didn't think it was
recommended to user a roller in this situation, as it compacts the
soil.
But looking at this work, there's nothing really complicated that I
couldn't do myself. My only concern is the drainage. I'm still not sure
if we'll need drainage pipes.

Do you have a supplier or suppliers of turf in your area? Try Yellow Pages.
If so, I'd get two or three of them to come and look at your lawn and advise
you on the condition of the soil and any necessary drainage. You could even
have a word with whoever maintains your local cricket pitch/football
ground/bowling green. You might have to pay them a few pounds for coming
out but it could save you an awful lot and you would get an independent
point of view. Ask the turf suppliers if they know of anyone who would do
the job and what they would think to be a reasonable cost to do it. If they
give you names, ask those names for previous-customers' references and go
and look at the work for yourself.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk