Old 08-09-2006, 10:08 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Bloody foxes

On 8/9/06 09:41, in article , "The
Natural Philosopher" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"©¿©" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

It wasn't all that effective, didn't keep fox out of our garden

and it
washed away in the rain anyway.

A high fence is the only 200% security.

50%. They dig under it.

Not if it's fitted properly. Which means burying the bottom.

Even burying it isn't a guarantee that they won't dig under it. I've
found that by simply laying the wire out along the foxward side of the
ground for about 2 feet stops them. They try to dig at the base of
the fence but don't have enough smarts to go back 2 ft and dig under
from back there.

Thanks for that tip. I will pass that on

Apparently, the other thing that works is to have vertical palings at random
heights. I say apparently, because I've never tried it. But the chicken
house at Highgrove is protected in this way and the security officers say
they've seen as many as 6 foxes sitting round it at night, unable to figure
out how to jump over the fence. Being 'jagged' confuses them, or that's the
claim. I think I read that it was the Romans who first used this method!
I'm guess only but I would think heights of between 5 and 6' would be needed
but it might be worth a bit of research.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk