Old 08-09-2006, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Potato Crop (Sweet cucumber relish)

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

big recipe

I soak wash them in cold water for an hour, changing the water every 15
minutes. You lose the bitter taste of the middle that way,

I've never found a bitter taste in any cucumber ...

This could be an urban scientific legend but I remember hearing somewhere
that some people react to something in cucumbers that tastes bitter and
others do not and that it is genetic. People who like cucumbers find them
bland and crunchy while people who do not like them (like me) find them
sharp and bitter and with a very strong distinct flavour. My wife finds
them tasteless and one of our kids does but not the other.
Oddly, I like cucumber relish and pickled cucumber and raita and tzatziki so
whatever the bitter taste comes from may be deactivated by Ph or something.
Raw cucumber I find unpleasant except in small doses.

Des in Dublin

Mary