Old 08-09-2006, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Potato Crop (Sweet cucumber relish)

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

I've never found a bitter taste in any cucumber ...

This could be an urban scientific legend but I remember hearing somewhere
that some people react to something in cucumbers that tastes bitter and
others do not and that it is genetic.

Ah - like sprouts!

People who like cucumbers find them bland and crunchy

Oh not bland! The flavour is delicate but not bland. I love the ones I grow,
they have a definite flavour, I can't remember what shop-bought cucs taste
like.

Oddly, I like cucumber relish and pickled cucumber and raita and tzatziki
so whatever the bitter taste comes from may be deactivated by Ph or
something.
Raw cucumber I find unpleasant except in small doses.

That's a pity.

There again, I can't bear radish!

Mary