Old 08-09-2006, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Cross between leek and garlic?

On 8/9/06 17:37, in article
, "John McMillan"
wrote:

In article ,
"p. pleater" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 4/9/06 12:27, in article
, "John
Kelly"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it
for real
and if so, does anyone know what it's called?

A Garleek ??

I should think so.

Note that the "lick" bit of garlic is the same as "leek"
anyway, coming from "leac", old english, old norse etc.

Cognate with "der Lauch" - a leek in modern german.
They also have Knoblauch - garlic (Knob-leek?) and
Schnittlauch - chives (trimmable leeks) and probably others too.

Sorry but none of those ring the required bell! I have the idea it began
with 'A' but no, it wasn't allium!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk