Old 09-09-2006, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike in Spain Mike in Spain is offline

Default Hedge help!

Simon wrote:
Hi there,

I planted a part grown privet hedge approx 2 years ago. The hedge does
well in the spring and gives a nice green leaf, but all of these were
lost last winter...

The hedge flowers in the summer, but as the season ends, the leaves are
starting to look like this:

http://tinyurl.com/ggrbl

Any advice on:

How I can keep the leaves green (and on the plant!) all year?
How I can accellerate the growth of the hedge. I 've heard about
cutting it back, but how much should I cut off each branch, how often?

Thanks in advance!!!

Simon

Privet is, in fact, not strictly an evergreen, and young plants or very
large ones can and will lose their leaves. The summer very hot period
in the UK does seem to ahve caused palnts to shed leaves early or to
have them dry up as a means of conserving what water is available, as
yours are only 2 years old, and were already part grown, then I suspect
the root system isn't yet developed enough to support the plant. Privet
can be cut as hard as you like, and will regrow from all parts of the
branches, cutting it back will cause it to bush out more and become
thicker, it also seems to accelerate the upward growth. You should be
aiming at not letting it flower, once it has flowered the plant puts
all its energy into producing fruit, and stops it's growth, trim it
back several times a year slowly letting it grow to reach its desired
height and thickness, then you will ahve a good thick hedge.