Old 09-09-2006, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike in Spain Mike in Spain is offline

Default greenhouse insulation

wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to insulate my greenhouse to keep it warm over winter. What's
the best way to do this? I have seen "bubble wrap" in the shops. Is
this good? How do I use it: do I wrap one layer around the inside or
two layers, or three? Do I insulate all of the height of the
greenhouse or only the first so many feet?

Thanks.

Depends how much you need to overwinter, but if you're using the whole
of the greenhouse you need to insulate it all, as hot air rises and
would be lost through the roof. In the UK I used a single layer of the
small bubble bubble wrap, but was''t trying to keep it that warm, just
for frost protection, and I sort of walled off part of it above the
benching and enclosed that. Worked OK for me, now, of course, things
like petunias are winter bedding here.