Old 10-09-2006, 04:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
suspicious minds suspicious minds is offline

Default Cold Compost

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Jane" wrote in message
I have a pile of fresh horse manure brewing on my allotment. The heap is
cold. Isn't it supposed to be hot? Advice?

If you went to the stables or wherever and got nice hot compost and took
it to the allotment, you introduced oxygen to the pile and the anaerobic
process was disrupted. That's why I always get the oldest I can, I know
it's going to cool down, but it's pretty well along the way already. I
would dig it in and let the worms do their stuff.

Steve

I think that you will find that aerobic composting produces heat (oxygen is
good) and that you need a critical mass of sh*t before a heap will generate
heat.