Old 10-09-2006, 11:01 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj[_1_] ~ janj[_1_] is offline

Default Pond pump runs dry after a few hours

On 6 Sep 2006 15:27:24 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

I am restricting the output flow using a ball valve so that I do not
overflow my waterfall, but I thought that this was acceptable. I do not
see how restricting the output flow would increase the likelyhood of
the pump losing it's prime.

The input side consists of a 1 1/2" swing gate valve (to prevent the
input line from losing it's prime when the pump is shut off), 5' of 1
1/2" flexible PVC, and a 1 1/2" strainer. I do not believe that this
is causing any significant restriction.

What is the gph of the pump? 1-1/2" input may not be big enough.
~ jan

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium