Old 10-09-2006, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Plant suggestions for a dry, shady border

In article ,
"David \(in Normandy\)" writes:
| We have a border approx 60 feet by 8 feet under mature deciduous trees, it
| doesn't get much sun despite being South facing until mid-afternoon. The
| clay soil is very dry - like a dust bowl - in Summer, except in Winter when
| the trees have shed their leaves, then it stays rather wet. Any suggestions
| for plants that would thrive in such conditions? The more rampant and
| spreading the better. We don't want to spend any money trying to improve the
| soil condition, but rather just make the best of what is already there.
| Suggestions?

You want native woodland plants (mainly bulbs, but not entirely), so I
would look through a flora. I don't know which like clay, but things
like bluebells and ramsons ramp when they like the conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.