Old 10-09-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Hedge help!

In article .com,
"Mike in Spain" writes:

| Privet is, in fact, not strictly an evergreen, and young plants or very
| large ones can and will lose their leaves. ....

Well, yes and no. All privet loses its leaves in cold winters, too.
It is a facultative evergreen, in that it will grow happily either as
an evergreen or deciduously - unlike things like most conifers, which
usually die if they lose all their needles. I don't know how long the
individual leaves last, even in good conditions, but I think only about
2 years.

My experience is that it will discolour at about -5 Celcius, and lose
its leaves if it gets extended periods of below about -10.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.