Old 10-09-2006, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Dave is offline

Default When is a shredder not a shredder - when it's a crusher!

Tell me I'm not the only one to be disappointed with the new breed of
'quiet' shredders.

My trusty B&D impact shredder finally gave up the ghost after many
years of faithful service, so I thought I would try one of the new
'quiet' shredders - I chose a Performance Power PWR2400QSB from B & Q.
OK so it is relatively cheap but seems to be a really solid, robust and
well constructed piece of machinery. But I was so disappointed with the
results - for a start it is not technically a shredder - it's a crusher
and it only really works well on woody stuff and anything long and
straight. Green stuff is difficult to push through - the feeding slot
is inadequate and difficult to use resulting in frequent stop starts.
Worst of all the end result is far from shredded - too many long
stringy bits which will take ages to compost down and is probably most
useful as a mulch. Has anybody got any comments on this - or have I
just bought the wrong machine?