Old 11-09-2006, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Blanket Weed Controllers

, I, Marvo, say :

We installed two ponds last year complete with electronic blanket weed
controllers. They worked very well.

This year we have had blanket weed in the small pond throughout most
of the summer and is now becoming established in the large one.
Nothing else has changed.

Does anyone have any experience of the blanket weed controllers, how
successful they are? How can we tell if they are workign (other than
via the flasing lights which appear to be OK).

I've used the UV systems, which are not as effective as I thought they would
be. What was the answer, in the end, is to pump the water up a level to
another "pond" which was a 1 metre square hole filled with fine gravel, into
which were planted bullrushes, then let the water run back down (over an
ornamental rockery slope planted with alpines and hostas). The bullrushes
"eat" whatever it is that blanketweed likes. My biology/chemistry are not up
to knowing exactly what, but I believe it's somthing to do with nitrogen
balance. Also my Koi Carp "Frank" became pregnant, so they must like it too.
He became known as Frances.

HTH