Old 11-09-2006, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Naubergines

Cat(h) wrote:
Er.. no. You were simply saying... something unintelligible.
Dix-six might sound like decease to your English ear, but it just
sounded like gobbledigook to the sales assistant.
They are dead would be ils sont décédés - not quite j'ai dix-six.

How truly amazing! When I perused David(in Normandy) website I saw his
diary entry for September and the above 'decede' thing. I wanted to
write something - but then I thought not to because then I thought
Janet will tell me that my French is wrong ... even though I'm French!

I'm glad you brought this up. In fact what David thought he sounded
like was in English "dix six" = "decease". The mind works in strange
ways ... ;o)