Old 11-09-2006, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Naubergines

La Puce wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
Er.. no. You were simply saying... something unintelligible.
Dix-six might sound like decease to your English ear, but it just
sounded like gobbledigook to the sales assistant.
They are dead would be ils sont décédés - not quite j'ai dix-six.

How truly amazing! When I perused David(in Normandy) website I saw his
diary entry for September and the above 'decede' thing. I wanted to
write something - but then I thought not to because then I thought
Janet will tell me that my French is wrong ... even though I'm French!

You do enjoy scab picking, don't you ;-)

I'm glad you brought this up. In fact what David thought he sounded
like was in English "dix six" = "decease". The mind works in strange
ways ... ;o)

Not strange at all, simply with one's own framework of reference - as
determined by one's own culture, including language.
Mind you, it might explain a thing or two about "A Year in Provence"
;-)

Cat(h)