Old 11-09-2006, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default just aquired a new allotment

Martin wrote:
The time needed in reality rather than legally, must depend on what is
in the soil prior to conversion.

Off course and sorry for delay with this but I was away, trying to
avoid Sacha in Devon in her tea rooms, which brought my kids to tears
of laughter )

My notes were encompasing the whole period needed for soil
accreditation, but also the organic accreditation along with the
conservation and good farming practices. My student friends and I being
so 'revolutionary' and all eagered to do things just right, took it to
its limit and just covered all the necessary requirements to become
'organic' in the complete sense of the word - hence my 12 years for
total organic standard - from soil to conservation, from livestock to
sustainability, from grain to water etc. I had also written on the side
:energy use in producing food stuff, food miles, fairtrade etc. There's
lots of regulations and legislations and there's so many organic
standards now that fraud is very easy to achieve.

I visited Growing with Grace in Lancaster in July, a wonderful place
and worked there for the day. After 4 years they don't have their full
accreditation but sell 'organic' produces all the same.

I would like to know of a farm which is fully accredited 'organic'
after a 2 years period. Anyone?

If someone is interested to hear the truth, the whole truth and nothing
but the truth, ring he The Soil Association (tel 0117 9290661).
Organic Farmers and Growers (tel 01743 462762), Organic Food Federation
(tel 01760 720444) , UKROFS (tel 020 7328 6000).