Old 11-09-2006, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default greenhouse insulation

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say :

Hello,

I'd like to insulate my greenhouse to keep it warm over winter. What's
the best way to do this? I have seen "bubble wrap" in the shops. Is
this good? How do I use it: do I wrap one layer around the inside or
two layers, or three? Do I insulate all of the height of the
greenhouse or only the first so many feet?

IMHO greenhouses don't normally benefit from overheating in winter. It
confuses the plants which "think" it's the wrong season, and they don't grow
properly, especially if they are to be planted out later. There are of
course exceptions which can benefit from local frost-proffing, like ferns,
palms and such (if that's what you use the greenhouse for) which can be
individually protected by bark, bubble-wrap, etc.

That depends on the number of plants. I'm not sure individually wrapping
getting on for 1000 cacti is feasible, quite apart from any condensation
issues.
--
Kay