Old 11-09-2006, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_1_] Alan Holmes[_1_] is offline

Default Apples

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"The Invalid" wrote

Picked some apples from our tree yesterday and most of them had
maggots in. All seemed to have got in from the base of the apple in
the middle.

Will I need to put a tar band round the tree or are the eggs injected
in by flying bugs ?

"Dwayne" wrote
I don't know about there, but here in the U.S. some of the worms that get
into apples are able to do it through the blossom. Most of the
professional growers start a spraying program a week before the tree
blossoms, during blossom, and once a week after blossom.

Personally I clean around the worm/maggot and can or cook the rest.

Dwayne (from Kansas)

Same here. But a gardener with only one or two trees isn't (in the EU)
able to even purchase the chemicals professions can.

But I wouldn't want to spray the food I am going to eat, with some foul
muck!

Alan

Here is a link to what can be done.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...dling_moth.asp