Old 11-09-2006, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Naubergines

On 11/9/06 21:55, in article , "
wrote:

"La Puce" writes:

Just found out when in St Ives that the last woman who spoke Cornish
has died this year. Isn't that terrible? (

Well I knew September had gone on a long time, but...

The last monoglot speakers of Cornish died in the late 1700's, the
last known speakers in the late 1800's though by then it was only a
few words. The current versions of the language are basically
reconstructions from what written records remain and there are regular
battles over which of the three major systems is the most "authentic".

From what I recall, the name of the last monoglot Cornish speaker, Dolly
Pentreath, is given at Lanhydrock with her date of death as 1777. Even that
is not without dispute, AIUI.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk