Old 12-09-2006, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Melons

"David Rance" wrote in message

We went to France as usual for the whole of August
To say that I was astonished is an understatement. I had no idea

that
cantaloupe melons could be grown in England out in the open, let

alone
in a greenhouse. Is this normal or is this a result of the

exceptionally
hot July. But yet the melons actually grew in August when it was

much
cooler and wetter. I would be glad to hear of anyone else's

experiences
in growing melons in the open in the UK.

WOW. I'm stunned. I tried growing rockmelons (cantaloupes) last year
as I thought that a good hot Aussie summer was just what they liked
but I failed miserably (even though I do have friends who I know grow
them in the district). Since you've now been so successful and have
found seeds that work for you keep some seeds and try again next year.
You may be onto a real winner.

Congratulations. You've inspired me to try again this summer.