Old 12-09-2006, 09:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Mulberry Tree Fruit

"jj" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a male and female Mulberry trees planted side-by-side in
Phoenix, AZ. They have been beautiful for almost thirty years. Why
doesn't at least one bear fruit? While vacationing in Pennsylvania
this summer, I ate my first Mulberries directly from a tree. I had no
idea what they were, but having eaten myself sick on blackberries as a
child, I couldn't resist. By the way, I found ticks in my hair the
next morning. Hadn't had those since childhood in the South either.
Thanks.

Mulberries have both male and female flowers on the same tree and they are
self fertile. If your trees have distinct male flowers on the one and
female flowers on the other they are not mulberries. Apparently there are
ornamental mulberries (I haven't seen one) and these might be non-fruiting.
In any case mulberries typically fruit quite young so if they haven't done
it by now they aren't going to.

If you really like the fruit plant a black mulberry and you will have fruit
in 2 or 3 years.

David