Old 12-09-2006, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Abraham Evangelista Abraham Evangelista is offline

Default Need an ID on these plants.

Went on a collection trip today, at Crum Creek in Delaware County,
Pennsylvania. Picked up two interesting plants, one a pretty stem
plant, with somewhat red stems and green, almost scalloped thin
leaves. The other a moss.

http://www.sonnani.com/aquaria/unkno...nt_1_small.jpg
This is the first plant. Found it in Smedley Park, in about one foot
of slow moving water. Water temperature felt cool. If I had to
estimate I'd say it was arond 50F. Substrate was mostly silt and
river gravel. The plant did have a root system. It did not attach to
larger rocks, and was found only in the gravel and silt. The stand of
plants was fairly large, covering large portions of a two foot square
area.

http://www.sonnani.com/aquaria/unkno...nt_2_small.jpg
This moss was found in another part of the creek, in fast moving
waters. It did not attach to silt or gravel, and was only found on
rocks. The sample I collected also contained a planaria (my first
one! Whee!) numerous amphipods, several small limpet like inverts, and
a few swimming things that were too small for me to ID without my
microscope.

There was also the usual giant stands of anacharis, but as I already
had more of that than I know what to do with, I refrained from
collecting any. In the past, I've seen various grasses in this area
as well. I'm not at all sure if they were marginal or truly aquatic,
but since I didn't see any on this trip, it was a moot point.

Are there any folks out there who happen to recognize these plants? I
do have access to some macrophotography equipment, and possibly a
microscope if either will help in the identification.

Thanks!
--
"Oh no! look over there! How did a Chupacabra get into the house? Quick!
Hide all the goats!" - Lisa, Girl's Bravo, English Dub