Old 12-09-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Naubergines

Sacha wrote:
The last person to speak Cornish as her only language died in the 1700s.
Several courses in the Cornish language are now being run for those who wish
to learn it, so it is absolutely untrue to say it is no longer spoken. It
is not unknown for gullible tourists to fall for charming but unfounded
tales.

I could have been mistaken - but all 6 of us mistaken? I don't think
so. But you are right. You can 'learn to speak Cornish at night
classes' if you wish indeed, but nobody speaks it like say Welsh is
spoken in everyday life. I haven't met anybody that does, and beleive
me I've met lots of people.

I have no doubt that some inscrupulous people, as you suggest not
surprisingly, might try to con tourists - we were not tourists and were
with many from St Ives, amongst them were local writers, artists and
reprentants of many local organisations, including the Maire. I cannot
immagine him trying to feed us wrong informations.

Let's PLEASE go back on the subject of this forum, which you strangely
never try to pick up with me ..... The hanging baskets, the little
streets, the front gardens and the public places of St Ives were
superbe - an amazing little town, and so clean. My legs are still
very tired from so much walking but it was worth it.