Old 12-09-2006, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Mike is offline

Default HELP-Railway sleepers wanter- North West area

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Martin wrote:
Being organic should rule out using old railway sleepers, which are
saturated in nasty chemicals.

There's that indeed. Heard of a story by a friend whose friends had
bought lots of sleepers to reconstruct their dining room ceilling. They
were very 'on hand' people and did it themselves. I don't know where
they got the sleepers from, but wihin a few days they wondered what the
smell was. Yep ... those sleepers smelt of pooh.

I remember in the 50's and 60's a severe case of a serious illness in a
specific area, forgot what it was, and it was put down to the railway line
at the 'bottom of the gardens' and the toilets being flushed out. Remember
the signs? "Please do not flush the toilets whilst standing in a station"
Don't know what the trains are like now, not been on one for years, 20 or
even 30 years, but will be on one on Sunday when I go to a Service at
Westminster Abbey :-)) As President of the RAF Association I founded I have
had an invitation :-))

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk