Old 13-09-2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default prepairing hydrangeas to move

Cold *could* be an issue with pots, even for plants that will survive
horrendous winters in the ground. You definitely want to get them out of the
pots before winter, and this is a perfect time of year to do it. Just follow
planting instructions, and do NOT be cheap when it comes to preparing the
hole with composted manure. The plants are going to live in those holes for
a long time. You need to give them a good start.

"FireBrick" wrote in message
thank you.
I was hoping you'd saw that and by 'too heavy' I mean the pots where too
heavy to move inside if the cold was an issue.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"FireBrick" wrote in message
. ..
Live near Chicago.
I bought two hydrangeas plants and put them in big pots next to my front
stairs.
Sun till noon.

I'd like to plant them into the ground so they come back in spring.
Can I do this?
How should I do this?
They are doing well in these big planter pots, but far too heavy to
move.

In the order you asked:

1) Yes, you can do this. Hydrangeas belong in the ground.

2) How?
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/trees/430-295/430-295.html
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lw_lan...276146,00.html

3) Too heavy to move? You'll have to move them at least a little to plant
them in the ground. Teenagers usually consider themselves impoverished.
Hire one as extra muscle. Hydrangeas are pretty tough plants, but if
yours are too heavy for you to manage, you'll rough them up trying to do
it yourself.

Be sure you really want the plants in whatever spots you choose. They can
grow quite large, wide tough, wide-ranging thick roots. Removing them can
be a real bitch. Also, get a soil test kit from a garden center and check
the pH. They like acid soil, and will produce nicer colored flowers when
the pH is correct. The wrong pH generally won't kill them, but the
flowers and leaves will look pretty blah.