Old 13-09-2006, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default microfungus

al wrote:

Here is the link to Steve's pictures and it works. (All praise the
internet!) It is hard to read the archived post but it looked like some
people, including Pat and Aaron (two people who from my point of view tend
to know what they are talking about)thought some of the pictures looked like
what they called microfungus. (To me one looks like mite damage, but not
all of them. Taken together, the group of pictures looks like a lot of
different problems to me.)

Okay group, from top to bottom, refresh my memory....which pictures look
like microfungus?
http://www.geocities.com/tlswilso/Phal_problems.html

Yeah, that's the page I made. I was going to show it if nobody else did.

I haven't done anything with it in a long time. The disease seems to be
as incurable as a virus but it spreads easier than most fungus diseases.
(No physical contact needed.)
At this point, I have one of the diseased plants left. It is my oldest
orchid; the first orchid I ever owned from back in the mid 70s. It has
one small leaf left. It looks normal but the disease will soon show
itself in that last leaf and that will be it. It's in a window away from
my other orchids.
After that last one dies off, I believe I will be free of the disease. I
hope it isn't hidden in my other (non Phal) orchids waiting to reinfect
any future Phals I may buy. The original post mentioned Paphs and Phrags
as being susceptible. I do have a few of each showing some symptoms but
I can't look at them and see the same disease. Maybe I should look
closer with that thought in mind.
I've been thinking lately that after the last Phal dies, I should go
back and make one last update to the Phal Disease page. Sounds like a
project for some rainy fall day.

Steve