Old 13-09-2006, 03:02 AM posted to aus.gardens,aus.food
Thistledown Thistledown is offline

Default Potato Varieties

We have some that seem to be like you are talking about. They call them
Okra - they are a relative of the weed Oxalis (hence the prolofic growth if
left in ground!) We just scrub them & boil them (with a bit of mint) and
serve them buttered. They vary in their colour, from cream to beige &
sometimes purplish.

Thistledown.

GOW wrote:
Hi all,

We just spent a few weeks on holiday's in the north of Italy and
amoungst other things foody discovered small cigar shaped potatos
that were quite delicious so I am trying to locate the same in
Australia if possible. The tubors were white skinned, around 10 cm long
and 4cm thick, quite
twisted and uneven, and they have white to cream coloured flesh that
is more dense and solid than any I have eaten before - very nice
indeed. I am not sure of their variety name but as they were freely
available
at the markets and supermarkets they must be a common crop over there.

Does anyone know the name of these little beauties and / or a seed
potato supplier in aus that has unusual varieties and a mail order
service? A long shot I know but the collective knowledge of the group is
my
best shot.

Cheers
CT

Remove THE FISH from the big pond to reply.