Old 13-09-2006, 04:29 PM
flimbin flimbin is offline
Registered User

Default cuttings

I took some semi-ripe cuttings of different shrubs about 4 weeks ago and put them in pots filled with a recommended cuttings mixture. I put them first in polythene bags and then, when they showed signs of growth, into my coldframe. All are surviving and appear to be healthy , but if I dig any out of the pots, I can't see any roots.

How much root growth should be visible before I move the cuttings into individual pots? I guess there must be fine root hairs, which maybe I cant see, but I am not sure.

If I leave them as they are until spring, are they likely to survive as the compost does not contain much in the way of nutrients.