Old 14-09-2006, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal Zootal is offline

Default When do pears ripen?

It's mid September, and the clouds and rain are moving in. And my pears are
still rock hard. I'm thinking of picking them now before they rot in the
rain. The ones I pick are still green and hard after a week of sitting on my
kitchen window, they just don't seem to be getting ripe...yet. and I'm...280
miles south of Seattle? Just SE of Salem, Oregon.

"Joshua Putnam" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
I checked them a few days ago. They are hard as a rock, and getting
bigger.
Is that normal for this time of year?

One of our pear trees is just starting to soften a bit, the other is
still rock hard.

That's south of Seattle, your local climate can make a big difference.

Pears keep much longer if you pick them before they're ripe, but they
taste better if you let them fully ripen on the tree. But I can't eat
them all fast enough if they ripen on the tree, so some of them have to
come off early, even if they aren't quite as good that way.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/