Old 13-09-2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mark[_1_] Mark[_1_] is offline

Default How to get rid of the grass between the plants?

Thanks.
mulch, probably about 4 inchs deep
that is a lot of mulch. Why does it have to be 4 inches deep?

George.com wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is probably the stupid question, but I am new in gardening, so
this is why I am asking this question.
I have planted vegetable garden. Garden is on the slope. Plants
(tomatoes, corn, cucumbers,etc,etc,) are planted not in terraces but
such that it looks like in containers. But in reality it is just the
container without the bottom.
Anyway, when I started it I have made a mistake. I have turned over all
the soil. In some places I have removed old vegetation from previous
year. But in some I was lazy and just turned it over. so, now there is
grass came up in the places between containers. This is ugly and makes
it difficult to grow my vegetables.
How can I get rid of the grass between containers without using
chemicals and at the same time spending as little labor as possible?
Not only the garden is on the slope, but there is a plastic dripping
tubing system that makes it difficult to walk there?

mulch, probably about 4 inchs deep I have seen recommended. Keep it a little
away from the stems of the plants. What you can use as mulch is varied and
diverse. Spoilt hay, straw, stredded leaves, dried grass (not newly mown),
partly composted pine needles, composted saw dust or wood shavingsompost,
used coffee grounds, used mushroom compost, sea weed if you can get it,
spent hops or corn husks etc etc etc etc. Avoid large and medium chunks of
wood, in fact any wood shavings or saw dust that has not been weathered for
2-3 months at least, treated wood products, stone and plastic sheets.

rob