Old 13-09-2006, 12:26 PM posted to aus.gardens,aus.food
Harold Harold is offline

Default Potato Varieties

"novus" wrote in message
"GOW" wrote in message
Hi all,

We just spent a few weeks on holiday's in the north of Italy and
amoungst other things foody discovered small cigar shaped potatos that
were quite delicious so I am trying to locate the same in Australia if
possible.
The tubors were white skinned, around 10 cm long and 4cm thick, quite
twisted and uneven, and they have white to cream coloured flesh that is
more dense and solid than any I have eaten before - very nice indeed.
I am not sure of their variety name but as they were freely available
at the markets and supermarkets they must be a common crop over there.

Does anyone know the name of these little beauties and / or a seed
potato supplier in aus that has unusual varieties and a mail order
service?
A long shot I know but the collective knowledge of the group is my best
shot.

It sounds like Kipflers. See:
http://www.whitehat.com.au/Food/Ingr...s/Potatoes.asp

Other sites to contemplate may be:

Article in The Epicure section of the Melbourne Age:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...594287097.html

And, see reference to Dobson's Potatoes under the Victoria heading:
http://www.naturalhub.com/buy_natura..._australia.htm for more
info.