Old 13-09-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default HELP-Railway sleepers wanter- North West area

, I, Marvo, say :

On 12/9/06 15:49, in article , "Uncle
Marvo" wrote:

, I, Marvo, say :

snip Try the Chilean Montes Alpha range one day.

I can't. I have a policy to only buy stuff which has done no
significant damage to the environment. Chilean is far too far away
in terms of burning carbon.

And I won't shop in TESCO because they are scumbags (JMHO of which I
have evidence should anyone want it).

I'm with you on the air miles but I do like the wine.... OTOH, I
don't find it necessary to buy asparagus from Peru. We get our wine
from Majestic, among others.

The wine is good, but it's cheap, I'm sure that's the planet-destroying
reason for the imports. There is almost certainly a more local market for
it. And I am led to believe that the destruction of the tropical rain
forests is in no small part due to the demand for grape. One day, and very
soon I think with the climate we're experiencing, English wine will be more
than adeqate ...

TESCO sell baby corn and mange tout imported from somewhere in Africa,
Tanzania, I think. I had one once and was very, very ill with
staphyllococcal poisoning, really thought i was going to die.

If you really must buy it, wash it. In bleach. Or safer, boil it. Best not
to buy anything from them, actually, as they "pass on all the benefits to
their customers". That's why they made £2B profit last year, I expect. And
why all the local shops are now TESCO express and have pantechnicons
permanently parked outside them, mainly on zebra crossings and traffic
lights, and are otherwise roaring round housing estates looking for the
shop. Grrrrrrr.