Old 13-09-2006, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Pond Sludge - To clear or not to clear?

, I, Marvo, say :

Hi,
I have been warned by a long time fish keeper that sterlets and pond
liner don't mix, apparently their fins are very sharp and can cut
through pond liner.
Although they can become very tame when young and feed from the hand,
I havent kept any for that reason, but they are lovely fish.

As far as I know a sterlet is not a baby sturgeon, although it's the same
family of fish (IIRC). They won't cut a decent pond liner, I used the black
stuff you buy from garden centres for keeping weeds down, not the girly[1]
stuff that you normally use for pond liners. Also they swin mouth down to do
their hoovering, the sharper fins are the ones on the back (dorsal?). But
it's worth thinking about if you have a girly[1] pond liner.

[1] no offence to girls, "girly" is the best word I can think of this
morning ...

Who was that top-poster?