Old 13-09-2006, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Pond Sludge - To clear or not to clear?

, I, Marvo, say :

MB wrote:

Yes, the herons are wretched. Which reminds me, having just cleaned
out our pond, we must replace the board under which the fish can
hide. We anchor and weight it in position and ensure there is about
six inches clear beneath it.

Herons are seriously territorial. Even one of those cheap plastic herons
plonked in the ground by the pond will put off all but the most
determined/hungry heron.