Old 13-09-2006, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default HELP-Railway sleepers wanter- North West area

, I, Marvo, say :

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:06:11 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:38:49 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:46:08 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

On 12/9/06 15:49, in article
,
"Uncle Marvo" wrote:

, I, Marvo, say :
snip Try the Chilean Montes Alpha range one day.

I can't. I have a policy to only buy stuff which has done no
significant damage to the environment. Chilean is far too far
away in terms of burning carbon.

And I won't shop in TESCO because they are scumbags (JMHO of
which I have evidence should anyone want it).

I'm with you on the air miles but I do like the wine.... OTOH,
I don't find it necessary to buy asparagus from Peru. We get
our wine from Majestic, among others.

The wine is good, but it's cheap, I'm sure that's the
planet-destroying reason for the imports. There is almost
certainly a more local market for it. And I am led to believe
that the destruction of the tropical rain forests is in no small
part due to the demand for grape. One day, and very soon I think
with the climate we're experiencing, English wine will be more
than adeqate ...

TESCO sell baby corn and mange tout imported from somewhere in
Africa, Tanzania, I think. I had one once and was very, very ill
with staphyllococcal poisoning, really thought i was going to
die.

If you really must buy it, wash it. In bleach. Or safer, boil it.
Best not to buy anything from them, actually, as they "pass on
all the benefits to their customers". That's why they made £2B
profit last year, I expect. And why all the local shops are now
TESCO express and have pantechnicons permanently parked outside
them, mainly on zebra crossings and traffic lights, and are
otherwise roaring round housing estates looking for the shop.
Grrrrrrr.

Did you mention that 40% of the goods traffic on UK roads is
supplying supermarkets?

No, but only because I didn't know :-)

You haven't read "Not on the Label".
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-Label-Wh.../dp/0141015667

Read that and you will never eat anything you haven't grown yourself
again, including "organic food".

You don't know where I work, do you :-)

You don't have to eat it, even if it provides your income. :-)

I was glad to see that rotten Dutch chickens are dumped in UK and not
locally :-)

I shall have a read of that book. But our products ALL contain what they say
on the tin[1]. And there's a heck of a lot of technology around making sure
that they /do/.

I'm not saying, but that poor boy's still pushing that bike up the cobbled
hill after 120 years!

[1] well, not /tin/, exactly ...