Old 21-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Radika Kesavan

Default Rose rescue

Cass wrote:
Radika wrote:

Names please?

Iceberg for my brother

Dit I mention that I am astonished by how big this rose has become at
the Heritage? I had the pleasure (and it was a pleasure) of pruning what
seemed like an eight-foot monster which was simply the bush form of this
rose not too long ago.

Granada for somebody related to him

I thought that this relative of your brother already had Granada?

Accept no substitutes. The Despot is also selling generic "Red
Rose" "Yellow Rose" things that are truly scary.

Bet you would not find it scary if they said "Mauve Rose" ;-).

Shhh. Tim thinks I'm serious.

That's because you called the Depot a bad name ;-).

I believe they has something called Lavender rose. I saw way too many
variegated leaves to want to do anything other than sterilize my
shoes.

Oh, aye. Avoid those specimens like the plague, as we who are seasoned
shoppers at budget rose-sellers know by now.

If you really, really want to give a miniature rose a try, I would
recommend this one I got a couple of years ago at Mack's hectoring -
Lavender Sunblaze. Quite the beauty of vigour, bloom and health. The
only trouble is Sunblaze seems to be anything the licensor of the name
calls Sunblaze and it may have changed now. Nevertheless, the Lavender
Sunblaze is mighty pretty, worth taking a chance on being the right thing.

And they have Weeks' Dainty Bess. It's all I can do to not drive
over there to pick one up. Tell me it's a dog, a mildew magnet, but
the contrast of those purplish stamens with the white petals is
alluring.

Is it? I mean, a mildew magnet? I had not noticed that - it is very
pretty and alluring and what-not, that is what I have noticed.

Lavender Lassie and Polish Spirit Clematis

I can't think of any color clematis that wouldn't look good with LL.

True. It is just that I normally work towards contrasting and
complementing colours rather than the same to same.

And now, back to the third day of untangling, tying and training
Chevy Chase. I feel like a pin cushion.

Ouch. What else did they have at the Home D. that caught your fancy?
This year I have been so restrained about buying roses as to be totally
subdued almost. I think I need to break out of my cocoon and flap my
wings a bit. Might check out the local HD.

--
Radika
California