Old 14-09-2006, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default snail repellent

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article
,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

That's a completely new twist on an old recipe. Dunno if I like the
sound of boiling the snails.

The more usual way to make this spray for any insect pest is to
collect the bug that is to be destroyed, to put it in her blender, add
cold water then blend it and then to leave the resulant stew to
ferment for a few days before straining and then using the strained
juice on the plant which had the problem bug.

Does this actually work?
I'd like to try it with cabbage worms......

The best thing I've ever found for cabbage worms is Bt, Bacillium
thurengenis (sp?). Mix with water per directions on the bottle and spray
the cabbage plants on a regular basis. Moth comes by, lays eggs, eggs
hatch and the first thing they eat is Bt,then they die.

For snails and slugs we use stale beer, just a little in an old shallow
bowl or lid. They get in it and don't get out.

George