Old 14-09-2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
bruce bruce is offline

Default Solar Powered Pond Pumps

Thanks for the reply.

Snooze wrote:
The idea of a solar powered pump comes up in this channel frequently. In
this case, your questions seem to be related more to pump recommendation
then about the solar power. I personally like pumps from the little giant.
http://www.lgpc.com/

Yes, I've used LGs and they make good plug in pumps.

As the solar power issue, here are some things to consider. Solar panels
generally produce about 12vdc. 12vdc pumps aren't designed for continuous
duty. So you'll need an inverter to produce 120vac, and possibly a battery
rack to power the system when the sun isn't shining.

Generally the solar panels can be configured to put out most any
voltage, the panels I'm considering put out about 24v open circuit, but
they can be arranged to get most any voltage
(power remains the constant).

The big difference between "solar" pumps and standard pumps is that the
"solar" pumps are designed to run under changing voltage and current
conditions as well as run under lock up where there is insufficient
power to make the rotor spin. I use "solar" in quotes since I believe
these pumps are not designed specifically for solar power, they just
happen to have the qualities to survive operation from solar power.
Extra efficiency is a plus, but I think the biggie is that they tend to
have more electronics (i.e. brushless) and ergo, cost more than the
standard class of submersible pump.

I only intend to let the system run when solar power is available (day
time). A friend had a pond for many years that only had a pump running
for a few hours during the odd day he'd have it plugged in. The pond
was cement lined and had a nice amount of lily pads and tropical fish
that seemed to keep the natural balance in tact (natural ponds usually
don't have pumps either 8^).
The pond waspartially drained and shut down during the winter.

Basically my goal is a "water feature" first with plants and fish later
on when I get bored 8^)

The biggest problem with solar powered pump systems is that the biofilter
needs actively flowing water to work, and it quickly dies from lack of
oxygen when the pump is off.

Agreed.

Plus the oxygen levels in the pond decline at
night, as plants consume oxygen instead of producing it, quick further
justifies the need for water circulation at night.

The pond will be deep (about 4 feet) and shaded so if I can keep any
algae blooms under control, the future plant loading should be self
sustaining.

But if you can run the numbers and save money by running it off solar in the
day time, I'm all for that.

I doubt i'll save money 8^)

-Bruce

-S